Blogs

First inchstone.

I have started hacking on my GSoC project to create a JavaScript backend for NQP (a Perl 6 dialect), which will be grown into a full one for Rakudo in the future.
Today I have unbitrotted the existing code at https://github.com/pmurias/rakudo-js by handling QAST::Var's with decl set to "static" (variables that don't change at runtime) the same as ones with "var" (normal ones). As such I have completed the first of 15 inchstones ;)

The Parrot Foundation is accepted for GSOC 2013

dukeleto: Happy to announce that @parrotvm will be mentoring students in #gsoc again this year! If you know awesome CS students, send them to me :)

We need mentors to sign up at
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2013/parrot
and project ideas to be collected/edited/reviewed at the "Ideas page".

Results

Tomorrow is google's appointed 'firm pencils down' date. That seems like a good time to discuss the results of my work on mod_parrot so far.

mod_parrot is, as I have mentioned before, a two-layered system, with one half interfacing with apache (the module) and the other half with the interpreter and the compilers, the 'loader'. There is also a vital third component, the test system called pudding.

A new hope

This week I finally got arround to giving a new, fresh structure to the mod_parrot module code. I have complained, perhaps not loudly enough, about the various inadequacies of the old codebase, mostly with regards to extensibility. A cleanup was needed. As such, here is a walkthrough of the new structure, also serving as documentation.

Interpreters with butterfly wings

I for one am totally for whimsical blog titles, wouldn't you agree? In other news, after a lull of two weeks (codewise at least) I've finally started to work on mod_parrot again. The big (dis)?advantage from not working on code is that you start to think more of what you could do (and should have done), rather than what you have done.

As it turns out, I handle interpreters in a rather confused manner. My goal for the next two weeks is to fix that. First, let me describe what should be done to correctly run a script on an interpreter using mod_parrot:

PACT: Adjusting the schedule

I appear to be continuing my weekly blogging every 14 days. Ah, well. My progress has been fairly intermittent as I work out this whole "getting sleep with a newborn around", but I'm starting to make real progress again. Today's blog will discuss what I've done in the last couple weeks and an updated schedule for the next month.

My progress can be split into a few topics: syntax highlighting, style changes, bug fixes, test helpers, and tests themselves.

As long as hope remains

So, this was rather an unproductive week, unfortunately. I'm completely busy with moving right now (and will be coming week). What did happen is that I poked a hole into parrot, and the community (nine) fixed it. The story: I started my 'loader' script by directly invoking a subroutine. That by-passed the starting of a green thread on the interpreter, which caused a crash when I tried to do something with that thread, such as sleeping. Nine fixed this issue by starting a green thread upon invocation using the api, which causes my tests to crash no more.

PACT: Spinning of the Wheels

So my 'vacation' was a visit to the hospital for the birth of my son. Now that this has happened, my schedule is going to be even more fun. Was in the hospital for most of a week and am now adjusting to life back home. I've been slowly turning my disassembler program into a "library" of sorts so I can call it repeatedly from tests.

Now to write some tests that convert PIR to Packfiles and Packfiles to PACT.Packfiles...

Security API Update.

Working on flags and permissions this past weekend in security api. Slow and steady progress. In terms of the timeline I am behind, but I am making every effort to get back on track. Monday should be an interesting day to show this past weekends progress.

Pandora's Box

Or, the internal Parrot C API. It is open, now. At least, parts of it anyway, and hopefully somewhat limited in scope.

When I set out to write mod_parrot it was my goal to use the 'new' embedding API - the one with all the Parrot_api_* calls. This is a limited API designed for loading and running the parrot interpreter and some scripts. It isn't perfect or even elegant but it works. Moreover, People have Promised it to be Stable. However, because it was designed to be used outside of the parrot runloop, these functions are not re-entrant in a rather subtle manner.

Syndicate content